Re: Question about kernel preemption

Hi!

On 00:08 Fri 14 Aug     , Mohammed Gamal wrote:

> As far as I understood, Michi's answer explains why and when the
> kernel *can* get preempted, however what I really want to know is when
> and where kernel preemption is *triggered*. Please correct me if I did
> misunderstand anything.

It is triggered by the timer interrupt. This is an interrupt which fires
periodically on configureable intervals. It does not only preempt the kernel,
but user space processes as well. If it fires, the kernel will enter the
scheduler and decide what to run next.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com