Automated Synchronization for pendrives

Hello All,

I was planning to write a program which will update a folder in my pen drive whenever I insert one.

The algo goes like this:

--> I insert a pendrive
--> The program comes to know that a pen drive has been inserted
--> Program asks the user "do you want to use this pendrive as a backup tool"
--> If I enter "yes" it asks the paths of the folders i want to make backup for
--> it updates the pendrive
--> Next time whenever I insert the pendrive the program asks "this pendrive has been used for creating backups, do you want to synchronize your folders now"

Basically the problem is to find that a pen drive has been inserted in on of the ports ?? rest things can be taken care off by a daemon process sleeping on the event "a pendrive has been inserted".

Any clues how to find this out ??

Or any tool which does something similar ?
--
Regards,
Rishi B. Agrawal