Re: LDD3 examples advice

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 03:38:16AM +0530, debian developer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Greg KH<gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 02:07:32PM +0530, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar wrote:
> >> Yeah LDD3 is outdated now, atleast huge amount of code is not usable as is,
> >> and for beginner, it may be difficult to figure out.
> >> I donno when LDD4 will be out, but if authors could re-write changed stuff,
> >> somewhere online, it would be great.
> >
> > We have no current plans to update LDD3 to LDD4, at the moment.  We are
> > all swamped with other work, and discussions with the publisher as to a
> > possible change in format kind of stopped due to lack of energy with
> > everyone involved (due to other work responsibilities.)
> >

> Just wanted to know if this was the effect of open sourcing(kind of) the book.
> May be the revenues werenot significant enough for the publisher to push for
> an update?

No, not at all, LDD3 is one of the top selling Linux books for the
publisher.  It's a matter of time and figuring out the best way to
produce the next volume of the book in a manner that is not going to
cause it to go instantly out of date like the previous version did.

Just publishing a new version in dead-tree form would not make much
sense anymore as the rate of change in the kernel is increasing so fast
that it doesn't make any sense.

So we need to figure out how to do it differently.  We have a number of
ideas how to accomplish this, but it takes some time to work out all of
the details.

We'll let everyone know when we have something we can announce.

thanks,

greg k-h