Re: Linux module compilation problem

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Vipul Jain wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu 9.0.4 and currently building out of the source
> tree, infact I am using the existing Ubuntu hearder files to build
> my sample driver. Do I really need to get the source tree for
> building modules?

  if you want to build modules out of tree, you will need at least
*part* of the kernel source tree, since you have to compile your
module against the kernel header files.  you can have the entire
source tree, or you might be able to get away with just the part of
the tree that includes the build infrastructure and header files.
some distros have pre-defined packages for that called something like
"kernel-devel".  in any event, you will need at least that part of the
kernel source tree.

> Secondly, I am not sure where to run make prepare_modules can you
> please specify the exact location.

  run that from the top of your kernel source tree -- that will prep
the tree just enough to allow modules to be built against it.

rday

p.s. it's "make modules_prepare", not "make prepare_modules".  i
guess i can make that wiki page clearer.

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Writing_your_first_kernel_module