Re: Sending UDP from within packet handler

Hi....

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Claude Robitaille
<clauder@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Mulyadi,
>
> this is what I was suspecting would be the way to go. But I am more
> familiar, still, with 2.4 but I found interesting reading about work queues.

I think, if you're already familiar with workqueue in 2.4, there is no
essential difference in 2.6, you just need to learn few difference in
job structure and API IMHO

> Someone else is also suggesting to use netfilter and create a module of my
> own. Any one knows how to compare the 2 solutions?

IIRC, it intercepts packet on layer 3 of OSI (network). But still, it
is in the code path of the TCP/IP.

> In the packet handler, running in softirq, I will have to handle sk_buff
> list, or lists. This list will be used by both the packet handler and the
> work job so there is a need to atomatically manipulate it. I am sure there
> are quit a bit of list manipulation define or function in 2.6 but I do not
> know where to look. Any pointers? Or names?

IIRC, it's in include/linux/list.h

regards,

Mulyadi.