Re: problem loading kernel module: " -1 Device or resource busy" error

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:21 AM, Vipul Jain <vipulsj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
>    I have written a simple hello world kernel module which compiles fine but
> when I try to load
>    it using insmod I am getting the following error:
>
>     insmod: error inserting './cdd.ko': -1 Device or resource busy

Looks like you init routine for the kernel module is failing with this error.
Can you provide the kernel  module which you are using.
It will help us understand the problem more precisely.

>    I was wondering if some body can please tell me what can be probable
> reason for this error? or
>    what does this error means.

It means that the resource you are trying to use/access some resource
which is busy. In that the error -EBUSY is returned, which eventually
means the same.

Just as an example,

mount a <dev> to <mountpoint>
cd <mountpoint>

try to do a umount <mountpoint>

You will see a device or resource busy error. And try to co-relate it
with what I mentioned.

HTH,

--
Regards,
Sandeep.

“To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner.”