Re: current state of real-time support?

2009/5/10 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, 10 May 2009, Denis Borisevich wrote:
>
>> Here is the wiki page of the CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT patch
>> http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.ph/Main_Page
>
>  one more RT-related question on this list and, if i want to take
> this further, i'll move to the actual RT mailing list.
>
>  if i wanted to start playing with the RT patch, is there any obvious
> drawback to adding RT capability to a normal system of mine?  would
> that allow me to experiment with RT *if i chose to*, but still allow
> the system to continue running normally if i didn't?  thanks.

It depends on what do you mean by "normal system of yours". As for
myself I use Fedora Core 9 with RT enabled kernel as my system at work
and didn't notice any differences between normal and RT-enabled kernel
while I surf the web, listen to music and do other things not related
to my RT work. But if there will be any difference you notice, you can
always restart you system and load normal kernel;)
I'm talking about CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT patch, not sure about other
real-time solutions - haven't played with them, sorry.