Re: problem in Network device driver.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 06:49:13AM +0200, Michael Blizek wrote:

> > CPU causes problems only when you test with small packets, say 64 bytes
> > packets. Small packets will cause more frequent interrupt for the CPU.
> > If you can pass 24 Mbps with 2k data size, then you at least can pass
> > 24 Mbps with bigger packets.
>
> If you use UDP, the kernel has to fragment and concat big packets on IP layer.
> At least in theory, this can cause CPU usage to increase.

I don't think the package fragement is an issue to cause CPU usage to increase
greatly. That's a simple computation work, I don't think that will cause much
CPU time. What affect greatly is the hardware IRQ caused by each packet arrive
and the soft IRQ for each packet, and the kernel/user space switch.

If you did some practical network performance test work, you'd have understood
that bigger packet size will cause better througput performance. Only smaller
packets will cause trouble.

Jeffrey