Re: CONFIG_HOTPLUG not set - machine does not boot

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:27:16PM +0300, Mark Ryden wrote:
> Hello,
>  I have a git kernel which I build and I can boot with no problem
> CONFIG_HOTPLUG = y in the configuration for this file.
>
> When CONFIG_HOTPLUG is not set, the machine does not boot; I get
> panic (can switch to /dev/root, etc.).
>

> I simply cannot understand why CONFIG_HOTPLUG is needed for the boot process.
> Any ideas why ?  I will appreciate any help.

Why would you disable it?  It's only ment to be disabled by people who
really know what they are doing, that is why we burried it in the
EMBEDDED section.

You also don't specify what kernel version you are using, what hardware
you are using, or what the exact kernel message you are getting when it
fails.

good luck,

greg k-h