Re: kernel timers do not expire

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Lal <learner.kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a Linux system, running a couple of third party kernel modules.
> The functionality seems all right except a rare case where kernel
> timers stop expiring. When the system reaches this state, everything
> works fine except the functionalities depending upon kernel timers.
> For example:
>
> - "sleep 3" on shell never returns
> - telnet <to some unreachable host> never returns
> - sample kernel module registers timer using add_timer. But timer never expires
>
> It appears to me that one of third party kernel module is causing
> this. Before I look into the source code, can someone give some hints
> about possible reasons where kernel timers may stop working
> (expiring).

let's see...I hope it's not the scheduler tick that is not
working..because if it does, surely it will affect process' time slice
expiration. But since now expiration relies on hrtimer (HPET to be
exact), things might go differently...

or maybe something is wrong with the way bottom halves are
handled...in this case it could be ksoftirqd or do_softirq().

Uhm....could it be because jiffies are not incremented correctly?
well, not the expert here...i am just trying to dump the possibilities
in mind.

regards,

Mulyadi.