[very noob] Experimenting with the virtual FS

Hi there,  (few paragraphs of introductory blabla, precise question at
the bottom!)
  I'm a c/c++ programmer but never done anything with the kernel
(except config and compile!)...  but I have been thinking about a few
things and I'm sure they may not help the world very much but might
still be interesting projects to learn a great deal.

  I was thinking on making a new VFS (as i understand it the VFS is
what receives all FS related calls, and translates those calls
depending on the end-device's drivers, as i understand, it works this
way:  fs call from userspace -> VFS -> Raid(for example) -> ext2 ).

  The new VFS would do the same work as the current VFS, but would add
more logging and statistics capabilities.  I was thinking on filtering
like what file is read and when, what file is written and when. Thats
the basic, and this info would be logged into a SQL database (probably
sqlite) for a better analysis later.

  The final goal of this thing would be to help in making automated
incremental backup that could do something as flexible as trigger a
script with the list of files that needs to be backed up, so this
script can do anything the user has specified (copy&compress, copy to
a remote destination, etc...).  I dont think this is a super advantage
to anyone and i understand most of the work would for near nothing...
but my real real goal is to learn & practice kernel coding (get my
hands dirty for once!) and to learn how files are handled on linux (at
a more low level).

My question is:  if i read on VFS, is this the correct keyword for
what I intend to do?  Is there anything else that is closely related
that I would need to read?  (i mean specific to my project, i already
have links to more general kernel dev).  And is there any such kind of
project that I could look into, reuse and extend possibly?

Thanks a lot!
--
When Earth was the only inhabited planet in the Galaxy, it was a
primitive place, militarily speaking.  The only weapon they had ever