Re: [ext2/ext3] Re-allocation of blocks for an inode

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Sandeep K Sinha
<sandeepksinha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sandeep,
>>
>> I've looked at the code and made comments.  I suspect the issue is an
>> extraneous call
>>
>>       dst_bhptr = sb_bread(ohsm_sb, dest_bh.b_blocknr);
>>
>> If that is actually causing a disk read operation of the unitialized
>> destination block, it is the culprit.
>>

> Yes, this is eating up 98% of the total time for relocation of any file.
> And surprisingly, the problem is that its equal for source and
> destination block.
>
> So, its the same for allocated and un allocated block. I mean the
> difference if quite less.

What is the purpose of calling sb_bread() on the destination anyway?
What happens if you just comment out that bit of code?

If that breaks, there has to be another way to initialize the
destination dest_bh structure without actually reading the
uninitialized block from the backing store.

Greg