Re: CONFIG_SMP for single-core CPU

Thanks, mircea.

Sounds AMD Sempron serial CPU only supports HyperTransport, and SMT is Intel's.
HyperTransport is not the same with SMT, right?

So, for my cpu, it is better to disable SMP?

I enabled CONFIG_PREEMPT,  so CONFIG_SMP is no additional overhead for spin_lock, right?
Except for spin_lock, are there any other overhead for CONFIG_SMP for single-core cpu?

Thank you.

BR,
Peter chen

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 13:12 +0200, Mircea Gherzan wrote:
Hi,

Peter Chen <hzpeterchen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. Does SMP technology can be only used at Dual-core processor, or
> only Dual-core processor can get benefit from SMP technology?

Not only on dual-core CPUs, but also on SMT (HyperThreading) ones, if
the SMT option in the kernel config is enabled.

> 2. If mine cpu is single-core and I enabled SMP, which will happen?

You will get some overhead in the spinlock code. On non-SMP kernel, a
spinlock acquire is reduced to disabling preemption (if preemption is
enabled, of course), or it's "compiled out" if there's not preemption
at all. SMP adds "real" spinning (busy-waiting) code.