Re: Ftrace

Hi,

> TASK_RUNNING does not necessary means that the task is currently running
> on a cpu. It means that it is ready to run or running.

I haven't used ftrace yet, but from using commercial RTOSs on
microcontrollers I had gotten used to the terminology :
"RUNNABLE".
I think that's a more appropriate way of describing a task that is ready to
run, as Frederic put it.
Of course, once a task is actually running that doesn't mean that this is
the actual currently scheduled & executing task, but at least then it is
"running" as opposed to "runnable"..

Perhaps all taste ? Terminology can vary a bit.
A good example I think is the standard terminology of RTS & CTS as used on
a (virtual) serial port.
I personally dislike the designation "Request To Send", it is misleading
IMO.
I would have thought a better designation might have been "Ready To
Receive" or some such - it is much more descriptive of the actual system HW
and what the SW should do.
(IOW, the port is NOT requesting that something is sent to it per se, it is
merely *not* in the state where it can't accept data)

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Best regards,
Kris

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:22:59 +0100, Frederic Weisbecker
<fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx>