Re: any NX memory areas?

Hi

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:22 AM, NAHieu <nahieu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for all the links, but that is not what I am looking for.
>
> My question is: I dont understand why some (all?) data areas in my
> NX-enable machine dont prohibit execution (why it should).
>
> I dont look for the solution (like PaX), just want to know why
> NX-feature doesnt behave like I expected.

I vaguely recall that 'til now, some applications still execute codes
living in stack or heap area. That's probably why NX is still applied
half way.

For example, think about dynamic translator like Qemu or Virtualbox.
IIRC, they put translated code in memory, where certainly that memory
area is either stack or heap. If we forbid code execution there,
translated code can not be executed properly.

CMIIW people...

regards,

Mulyadi.