Re: Lost fedora Installation

El Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 10:10:32PM +0530 Rishi Bhushan Agrawal ha dit:

> I had an existing fedora 10 OS installed and the base FS on it was ext3.
>
> I needed to have a Fedora 10 system with base FS as ext2 ( for /)
>
> I wanted this because I wanted to change the code of ext3 FS.
>
> So I freed some space on the HDD (aroung 25 GB) and using custom
> layout installed the new
> Fedora on it.

that was completely unnecessary, ext3 has the same format as ext2, it
just adds journalling. specifying the / file system as ext2 in
/etc/fstab would have been sufficient

> I did not mention a new swap partition for it.
>
> The problem  is that Grub is showing only one fedora installation that
> also the new one wih ext2.
>
> So how can I have both the Installation.
>
> Moreover I had a new kernel compiled on the old installation which is also lost.

sorry, but kernelnewbies is definitely the wrong list for your
question, some fedora list would be more appropiate.

most likely your first installation still exists, but for some reason
the fedora installer didn't put it in your grub menu. you could just
add it manually to /boot/grub/menu.lst of your new installation. have
a look at http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html
for documentation about grub

--
Matthias Kaehlcke
Embedded Linux Engineer

 Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think
                             (Emma Goldman)
                                                                 .''`.
    using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | http://debian.org  : :'  :
                                                                `. `'`
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 47D8E5D4                  `-