Re: Challenges Faced by an Amateur Linux Programmer

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 12:58:35AM +0530, Mohit Varma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a Java application programmer trying to get a foothold in the world of
> linux programming.My areas of of interest are Device Drivers & network
> programming - to play around with protocols to be precise.
>
> I am facing a couple of challenges and these are as follows :
>

>    - Whenever you apply for a job in LINUX domain....companies ask for valid
>    experience in linux kernel programming.All I have and can do is play around
>    with some code on my stand alone system in isolation...or say read the
>    kernel source.From where can people like me can get VALID experience so that
>    we can land up with a job in linux kernel.How can a systematic professional
>    approach be adopted while working at home in my spare time.
>

>    - Even when I try play around with kernel @ home what approach should be
>    followed so that it adds some weight to my resume.Keeping in mind that I
>    dont have access to resources that other linux professionals might have in
>    their companies.
>
> If I can get some help on this ...it will always be useful.

IMHO, the best is to involve on the kernel development.
You will write code reviewed by others, read code from others and then
progress faster and have more fun than always learning alone.

Try to lurk on LKML and netdev mailing lists, look at the discussions,
the bug reports, try to help fixing them. Test the posted patches, try
the new features....

During all these stages, you will become more and more familiar with the subsystems
you are interested in, and get more an more easily involved in the development on these.

And all these stages are a lot of fun!