What is the difference between loopback device and ramdisk device

Dear all:
After reading the page
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/archived/Loopback-Root-FS/Loopback-Root-FS-2.html,
I have some questions about these 2 devices.
1. Are both loopback device and ramdisk device virtual device?
   ( it seems so, since they both don't have any physical devices)
2. The only differences between them is loopdevice uses file as
virtual device and ramdisk uses memory as virtual device
   (if it is also right, why we first use dd if=file_name
of=/dev/loop, then we mount -o loop /dev/loop /mnt.
    It seems we copy the file content to a virtual memory device,
/dev/loop, then mount it.
    So we still use a block of ram to simulation the file operation, right?)
thanks for your help,
miloody