Re: Getting crash information from a kernel

Hi Mayank..

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Mayank Kaushik <mayank.utexas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've used kgdb to debug a target over ethernet before.
> But the problem I'm currently facing is that my running kernel sometimes
> freezes, and I have to reboot. I am using just one machine, I cannot cannot
> connect another to it to see what caused the crash.
> I would like to get a crash report of some sort when I next boot up, so from
> the stack trace I would at least know the name of the module that caused the
> crash . What patches can I add to the kernel or what kernel options can I
> use to accomplish that, apart from enabling kdb?
> I suppose there's no option but to compile a new kernel with the options you
> suggest, since this current kernel is built without debug info.

Some things that I can quickly recall:
1. enable NMI (non maskable interrupt) watchdog.
2. enable kdump/kexec and configure your kernel to do crashdump

I can not explain longer about them for now, so please Google for
further information. Consider it as very early hints.

regards,

Mulyadi.