Re: Generating custom kernel uevents.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 09:04:31AM +0200, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 02:02:14PM +0200, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> >> Hello ,
> >>
> >> I want to generate custom kernel events. This events will be
> >> interpreted by the udev in user space.
> >
> > It will?
>
> Yes , it will if I add a proper rule in /etc/udev/rules.d

Ah, but you might want to ask the udev developers about this as well :)

> >> Is the following code in the spirit of linux device model?
> >> Am I allowed to access kobject from pdev->dev?
> >
> > Yes, but why are you trying to do this?  The different bus and class
> > specific code should be doing this already for you, what are you trying
> > to do different here?
>
> I want to generate my own custom events, for example "BOARD_ID=xxx". I
> didn't find a way to generate this using a class or a bus.

So the existing device add and remove events are not sufficient for your
need?  What exactly are you trying to do with these events you wish to
add?

And you do know you can add new VALUE=value pairs to the uevent for your
device, right?

thanks,

greg k-h