Re: Reworking a patch in git.

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 10:26:58 Markus Heidelberg wrote:
> Manish Katiyar, 17.02.2009:
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Henrik Austad <henrik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > You can do this several ways. One way, if you need to do a lot of
> > > reworking on a particular commit, and you do not want to change the
> > > order of the commits: git checkout -b tmp_branch target_commit_id
> > > <do you stuff>
> > > git add -u
> > > git commit --amend (to squash the commit on top of the original)
> > > git merge master
> >
> > Thanks a lot Henrik,
> >
> > I will try these steps, once I am at home and let you know if it
> > solves my problem.
> >
> > Thanks -
> > Manish
> >
> > > or, if you do not really care for the order of the commits, just the
> > > commits
>
> I'm not sure what you mean with this, Henrik, since the order can be
> changed in interactive rebase.

bad choice of words. In some cases, you want to keep the patches in a given
order (they depend upon each other), and taking the first commit and putting
it last, will mess up the patches, and make the 'purpose' fuzzy if you
understand what I mean.

The point was, if you *really* want commit sequence A-B-C-D, and you want to
change commit B, then a git checkout -b tmp B  will be the best approach
and then put C-D on top of B so you get something like
A-B-C-D
   \B'-C'-D'

> > > themself, have a look at git rebase --interactive
>
> but I'm sure, this "git rebase --interactive" will solve your problem,

I think so too :-)

> Manish.
>
> Markus
>

> --