Re: Reworking a patch in git.

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 05:22:50 Manish Katiyar wrote:
> Hi,

Hi! Before you read on: be very aware that I'm not a git-expert. If you really
want to have the 'correct' answer, send the question to git@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ask at #git@freenode

> I have a simple question wrt git. After making few commits in my local
> git branch, let's say that I need to rework a patch and resend it
> again. In this is it possible to make only the necessary changes in
> the required commit and create a patch out of the previous and the new
> commit and resend ?

My gut reaction is: Use branches :)

> What I do currently is :
>
> a) Save the new changed file
> b) Revert the commit
> c) Overwrite the file with the changed file
> d) Make the *rework* changes
> e)Make a new commit it and send as a patch.

You can do this several ways. One way, if you need to do a lot of reworking on
a particular commit, and you do not want to change the order of the commits:
git checkout -b tmp_branch target_commit_id
<do you stuff>
git add -u
git commit --amend (to squash the commit on top of the original)
git merge master

or, if you do not really care for the order of the commits, just the commits
themself, have a look at git rebase --interactive

> Is there any better/smarter way of doing this ?

Did this answer your question?

--
Henrik