Re: KGDB with 2.6.27.4

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Sukanto Ghosh
<sukanto.cse.iitb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the previous incomplete mail.
>
> I am trying to use KGDB on kernel 2.6.27.4.
>
> I have gone through the Documentation/blackfin/kgdb.txt
>

> I couldn't find where to download the kgdb patch for my kernel version.
>
> However I found while doing "make menuconfig" that there is the option
> "KGDB:  kernel debug with remote gdb"
> There is an option as its subtime "use kgdb over the serial console".
> But I couldn't find where to set the serial port for the same.
> Also I didn't get the option "KGDB: Wait for gdb connection early"

KGDB is kernel debugger require to debug kernel in case of panic, crash to find
out root cause.

KGDB requires two machines, host and target. If you want to debug
kernel running on
other machine/or during boot on other machine from your machine, its
host-target debugging.
Gdb runs on the host, controlling a gdb stub in the target kernel via
the serial port.

You have to enable KGDB and choose one of these options based on your setup.

If you want to debug linux running on other machine/board ( that
called target linux )
from your linux machine ( host machine ), you either have serial
connection ( /dev/ttyS0 etc)
or network connections ( Ethernet ) between these two machines. So you
choose one of them.

If you have both, better to choose network once, in this case, you can
still see kernel boot logs on
serial console and can issue gdb commands from host.

> Where can I get the bfin-elf-gdb ? My GCC version is 4.2.

As per my knowledge, bfin-elf-gdb  is require in case your target
Linux is running on blackfin that is not in your case.
If target linux (which want to debug ) is running on ARM, it like
arm-elf-gdb or for MIPS its mips-elf-gdb
and all these tools gcc, gdb are part of tool chain on host machine.

In your case , it just gdb at host machine also, not bfin-elf-gdb or
mips-elf-gdb etc.

> Also, will it work if I compile the kernel in the test machine itself
> and copy the vmlinux binary to the development machine. (using the
> terminology used by the kgdb documentation).
>

> My Test Machine:  VMware-guest running Fedora Core 9
> My Development Machine: Host running Ubuntu Hardy.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Sukanto Ghosh
>
> --