Re: "How to configure Grub?" and "bash: ./kernel.bin: cannot execute binary file"

2009/2/2 Won De Erick <won.derick@xxxxxxxxx>
--- On Mon, 2/2/09, Henrik Austad <henrikau@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday 01 February 2009 15:02:49 Won De Erick wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >

> > http://www.osdever.net/bkerndev/Docs/printing.htm
>
> As a sidenote, things *have* happened in the kernel during
> the last 4 years.
>

> > "Copy your 'kernel.bin' to your GRUB
> > floppy disk, and if all went well, you
> > should now have a kernel that prints 'Hello
> > World!' on a black screen in
> > white text!"
>
> Hum? Are you creating a bootable disk? Then I guess you
> have to edit the MBR
> on that disk as well. I haven't created boot-disks in
> ages, not since PC's got
> the ability to boot from a CD ;)
>
> What about something like this:
> sudo grub-install /dev/floppy

thanks for this, but i think i was able to configure the GRUB to load the simple kernel.

> You moost *boot* into this program.

I've done this, but I'm getting the following error (also posted in a separate thread):

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

In the build file, I have the following line:

nasm -f elf64 -o start.o start.asm

Then, on the link.ld file,

OUTPUT_FORMAT("binary")

I'm getting no error when building. Is there any inconsistencies? Does it have to do with my laptop architecture (AMD Athlon-X2)?

Pls see attached files and any help pls? Thanks!

Download this set of kernels: http://www.osdever.net/downloads/kernels/osd.zip and look at the README file and at the Makefiles and you will see how to compile your kernel to an executable format.