Re: question about kobject log?

2009/1/16 Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>:

>> > Yes.

>> > On the command line, with "root=/dev/sda3" or some such device node.
>> Hi:
>> how kernel where the root file system is only by passing him just a string?
>
> The kernel looks up the name in the list of block devices, and
> determines the major:minor number of the device, and then opens that.
> Or you can pass in the major:minor number of the device if you don't
> want to use the name.

Hi:
appreciate your kind help first.

1. please let me briefly explain what I mean "how kernel find out root
file system" above.
In my assumption, I should put kernel and root file system separately
in the dram and let the kernel know where the root file system is.

2. Then kernel starts searching the ramdisk_execute_command in the FHS I made.

before 1, the kernel will have no idea what string, "/init" mean.
After unpack_to_rootfs, if I guess correctly, "/init" has meaning to him.
Is my assumption correct above?

>> What I mean is, I put my decompressed kernel in dram and let it run.
>>
>> And at the end of init_post, it will find out where root file system
>> is by passing him
>> "root=/dev/sda3"?
>
> Yes.  As long as you do have a root filesystem on /dev/sda3, which, for
> some reason, I doubt you do :)

Would help me to define the "root file system"?
In FHS, I think a minimum file architecture is the definition of root
file system.
like below:

|--bin
|--dev
|--etc
|--lib
|--sbin
|--usr
|--var
|--tmp

But why you say "As long as you do have a root filesystem on /dev/sda3"
so you mean

|--bin
|--dev
      |__sda3  -----> this is root file system?