Re: initramfs vs initrd

Hi Peter,

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Read this on the concepts/reasoning of initramfs:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/191004/
>
> and then this:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2009-January/003987.html
>
> where initramfs is preparing to be removed permanently from distro.
>
> I got lost reading the lwn.net article above....someone can reword/rephrase
> in your own understanding?

I think you understood fine :-)

When I compile a new kernel to Ubuntu I always remove initramfs/initrd
support and make my kernel image with built-in drivers to my specific
hardware. It makes my system initialization a little more fast.

But I don't know if adding all PATA/SATA drivers built-in on kernel
will produce a too big kernel image. In other hand a too big image can
reduce the performance.

> essentially questions are:
>
> what is the problem with initramfs?   and how does it differs from initrd?
> strength of initrd over initramfs?

I think there is not a *real* problem with initramfs, but if it can be
removed without any performance issues, why not remove it?

Recommended reading:
Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt

> --
> Regards,
> Peter Teoh

Best Regards,