Re: About xawtv

ya ok micheal..i am ready to install SDL library...but is the xawtv software is using this SDL library to display the captured pictures..?i think no....then how it is displaying..?I think this vgrab.c requires this SDL library....do you have any other program to display the captured pictures continuously as video without using this  SDL library...?sorry if i asked any wrong question....Thanks a lot micheal....
--- On Tue, 13/1/09, Michael Williamson <michael_h_williamson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Michael Williamson <michael_h_williamson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: About xawtv
To: shariefbe@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, 13 January, 2009, 2:21 AM

<video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 10:22 PM
> Thanks micheal....Yes i can use xawtv program...but its very
> confusing....i already learned the "c"
> programming....now i have to understand what is  "v4l2
> program does....Thats why i asked you...i saw all the
> programs in xawtv...including "streamer.c and
> capture.c"...but there is no mmap() function
> there...Thats why i asked first....can you help me  to
> capture video in your application which you sent
> me...?Thanks for your valuable reply.....

I would describe V4L and V4L2 as software in the Linux kernel that helps
to use cameras with Linux. They provide a common programming interface
for different kinds of cameras.

To capture video using the program "vgrab.c", it needs to be modified
to continuously capture and display pictures, instead of storing a single
picture as a file. One way to display the captured pictures is with the
library called 'SDL'. Can you determine if it is installed on your
computer? If it is not, can you install it?  (A google search for SDL
will find the website to download it.)

Another possibility for displaying pictures is with the 'X11' library,
but it is more complicated.

-Mike

Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0! Click here.