Re: question on kexec and Linux-based bootstrap

Check this:

http://lwn.net/Articles/15468/

basically, kexec is like rebooting with a new image.   but before
wiping out the old image, it must complete all the shutdown sequence
first, and then finally copy the new image from somewhere and overlap
on top of the old image.   read the article - it is described in great
detail there.   but may be someone would like to comment on whether
the article is still valid?

more recent coverage here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/94560/
http://lwn.net/Articles/108595/