From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mandeep Sandhu
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 10:57 AM
To: Kernel Newbies
Subject: newbie usb gadget query

Hi All,

I had a few doubts regarding USB gadgets under linux. I posted the
bellow query to the
linux-usb mailing list, but since I haven't received any replies, I
thought I'd try my luck here! :)

Please let me know if this is not the right place for this query...

I'm new to USB device driver development. I've mostly done a few LKMs
(and an ethernet driver) on 2.6 kernels. And this too was sometime back
(around 1.5 yrs!)...so my knowledge on a few things might be rusty! :)

I'm working on an embedded board and would like to validate a few
assumptions here before proceeding to start work on them.

The board is a Compulab CM-X270L (PXA270). This board has USB master as
well as a slave port. It's currently running a patched 2.6.16 kernel
(the patch is from Compulab). It runs Compulab's Debian distribution
 - "Debian GNU/Linux 3.1".

We need to use the board as a USB slave to a machine which has a USB
master (root hub). This machine runs a proprietary OS and we do not
have access to it's source code and/or any other means to access it's
internals.

This proprietary OS supports the following USB classes:

* CDC-ACM: Full ACM specs

* CDC-ECM: The USB host side diver on the OS, only works with one
 particular USB-ethernet dongle (say chip-X). So I'm guessing the OS
 does not support the full ECM specs.

We need to use the board as a slave and test it's interoperability with
the host for the above mentioned USB classes.

I plan to do the following:

1) CDC-ACM: Compile the USB gadget serial driver as a LKM for the board.
  If the module loads successfully, connecting the slave port to the
  host should make it (the slave), enumerate successfully as an ACM
  device.

2) CDC-ECM: This one's a bit tricky! I understand that the ethernet is
  implemented in drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c. But, since the host side
  driver is written to work with a particular chipset, will it work
  "AS IS" with the ethernet gadget driver?
  Also, in case it doesn't work, can I tweak the gadget driver to make
  it work/enumerate correctly with the host? Basically I'll be "faking"
  the chip in s/w...is this possible to do?

Also, how can I verify that the kernel has recognized the USB slave
device?
During kernel configuration, we can choose gadget support as a module.

The following link states that the USB device functionality is not
supported
in 2.6.16 kernels:

http://www.compulab.co.il/mediawiki/index.php5?title=Linux_Kernel_for_CM
-X270#USB_device

Using the link given on the above page...I downloaded the complete
gadget
source:
http://handhelds.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/linux/kernel26/drivers/usb/gadge
t/?only_with_tag=K2-6-16-DEV

After this, when compiling the kernel, when I enabled the USB gadget
support,
I could see the device controller for PXA27x boards. This produced the
pxa27x_udc LKM. On inserting the module I got the following  error:

pxa27x_udc: exports duplicate symbol usb_gadget_register_driver (owned
by kernel)

If i grep /proc/kallsyms I can see this symbol exported. Is this
symbol exported by a
module or is this due to gadget support being built into the currently
running kernel?
There's no way I can find out what configuration the currently runnig
kernel (2.6.16-cmx270)
was built, since the required file is not under /boot!!

Another pain-point is the fact that I can't re-flash the kernel on the
Compulab board with a newer version (I think 2.6.24 has support for USB
device). This is because the board directly boots up the kernel and does
not stop at the prompt. I've followed the procedure mentioned here:

http://www.compulab.co.il/mediawiki/index.php5?title=Getting_started_wit
h_Linux_on_CM-X270#Image_installation

but this doesn't seem to work, the bootloader (ARMMon) still boots the
kernel
directly! :( Any clues as to how to circumvent this problem?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
-mandeep