Re: usleep() in ioctl

On Jan 9, 2009, at 7:21 PM, Peter Teoh wrote:

hm...i like this problem.....someone got the same problem too:

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0009.3/0906.html

does your problem look similar?

Not really, but that page is now bookmarked (very interesting!)

I guess I should have dug deeper. What I find is that delays greater than one system tick are easy as long as all the possible blocks and preemptions are considered. Going shorter that one tick (1ms) is basically impossible without using some form of HW timer and interrupts. Using what I had been using (spinning on the clock counter register in the CPU) works well enough and does allow a window for preemption by other threads/interrupts.

Thanks!
-Bruce