Re: I/O operations

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM, rohit vashist
<rohitvashist2kk3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
> I need to suspend the current I/O on my file system.

is it a root filesystem? if yes, then I it is not possible, or very hard.

looking at the output of "lsof", u can see lots of files are opened by
different processes.   sometimes, they are readonly libraries, or
directories, or swapfiles, or logging output.   just look at "ps
auwxf" and u can see many different processes responsible for it.
these different processes may be dependent on one another.   sometimes
the process will block when access to the filesystem is made to wait.
 so to unmount cleanly, u have to kill all the processes one by one
first.

> Is there any mechanism to figure out the number of I/O currently happening
> in the system?

how about checkout the source for iostat?

> Is there any mechanism to suspend all the current I/O(write) momently on the
> file system?

i think it is hard.

> Also,any mechanism to flush all the I/O currently executed in the file
> system?

same, i think it is hard.

--
Regards,