Re: symbol table....

u have an interesting problem....let me try...

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 11:15 AM, niamathullah sharief
<shariefbe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ok mark...sorry..i will explain you simple...i have two questions....
>
> 1)just my USB port should not work...when i insert any USB device...USB port
> should not detect that device....

ok.....first I remove my usb_storage (from memory, this is possible
only if all existing USB devices used as storage have been removed):

rmmod usb_storage

(check with lsmod--> successfully removed).

Then I renamed the directory containing all the modules:

/lib/modules/`uname -r` to /lib/modules/bobobo

Next I plug in a USB thumbdrive --> without the last step of renaming
the modules subdirectory:

[ 9016.586625] usb 6-1: USB disconnect, address 2
[ 9017.750008] usb 6-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
[ 9017.883094] usb 6-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 9018.273772] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[ 9018.357303] scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[ 9018.387822] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 9018.387828] USB Mass Storage support registered.

The usb_storage.ko will be automatically be reloaded by usbcore (which
is built into the kernel, not a module at all - check
drivers/usb/core/driver.c:usb_register() for example, which will
automatically reload the usb_storage.ko.   this part of usb logic is
built into the kernel, not as any module, if u observe the
CONFIG_XXXXX available inside this file).

But after I rename the subdirectory, usb_storage.ko remain permanently
not loaded.   Your aim partially achieved......at least now the
thumbdrive cannot be used for storage anymore.

> 2)After that i have to make that port work through " USB modules"
> installation by myself...it should work after i installed that USB
> modules...i dont want to recompile the kernel and make the USB support
> enable...just i want to do by modules installation...

anytime u want to reenable it....just rename the subdirectory.

> 3)whether "usbcore and ehci-hcd" modules are enough to make USB port to
> work....and whether it is possible when the USB support is disabled in the
> kernel?if not what to do for that?

I think usbcore is not a module.   not sure about the intend of your
question.   are u asking for dependencies among usb components?

read into drivers/usb/Kconfig file, all the dependencies are described there.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh

Ernest Hemingway - "Never mistake motion for action."