Re: symbol table....

Hi,

Le Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:30:19 +0530 (IST),
niamathullah sharief <shariefbe@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> No....i will explain in detail....actually i planned to install the
> USB driver manually...so i compiled "usbcore" module and installed
> in...after that i came to know that "ehci-hcd,uhci-hcd or ohci-hcd"
> driver are also used to USB work...so i tried to compiled that
> too...but when i try to install using "insmod" its shows the error
> message as "undefined symbols"....when i use "modprobe" it shows as
> "module not found"When i check the symbols which are not defined,all
> are belong to "usbcore" module...but i already installed that
> module....even though this host drivers are showing errors....Thats
> why i planned to check the symbol table whether all the symbols from
> that "usbcore" module are installed are not....am i correct...if not
> please suggest me how to resolve this problem......

I think you lack some knowledge on kernel configuration, compilation
and installation. Therefore, I would recommend to read Linux Kernel in
a Nutshell, written by Greg KH. Printed copies are available from every
good on-line book store. Electronic copies are also freely available
online, at http://www.kroah.com/lkn/.

If you're doing native compilation (i.e compile a kernel for your
workstation), then after the compilation, run:

 make modules_install

This will automatically install all kernel modules
in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/, and run "depmod -a" which will
create a few text files needed by modprobe to get the dependency
resolution system to work properly.

If when running "modprobe foo", module foo is not found, it's because
the module hasn't been installed in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/.

But again, please read Linux Kernel in a Nutshell, or at least the
relevant parts of it, to at least get a basic understanding of what's
going on.

Sincerly,

Thomas
--