Re: filter drivers in Linux

2008/12/24 Srinivas G. <srinivasg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Dear All
>

> Is there any concept of filter driver in case of Linux like in windows OS.
> In windows we can write a filter driver to enhance the behavior of existing
> driver and this filter driver can be attached to main driver either above or
> below. But I don't see similar concept in Linux.

In Windows, there is a device object that is created by default for
devices; device driver (DD) writers write modules for this `object',
the core component (another object) being the function object, to
provide functionality.

In Linux, one doesn't do that. The primary abstractions available to
the DD writer are those of a character, block or a network device. The
writer then builds on top of this abstraction. And of course, they are
free to use their own objects on top of this.

So, the filter functionality, *has* to be provided by the DD writer,
should anyone be able to add more functionality.

And, I believe there is an abstraction for notifiers (not exactly a
filter per se, but something similar) available in the linux kernel. I
have seen that keyboard.c provides an interface by which an external
module can register for callbacks for specific events. You might want
to check that out.

--
Vimal