Re: change DMA size

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:56:21AM +0530, ajit mote wrote:
>    Hello,
>    How can I increase the size of the memory that is allocated by the
>    kernel for DMA transfers?

I assume you are asking how you would increase the size of ZONE_DMA?  If
that is your question then I'm guessing there is a misunderstanding
about why ZONE_DMA exists.  ZONE_DMA is only used for devices that can't
DMA to physical addresses above 16M (usually legacy ISA devices).  If
your device can DMA to higher physical addresses then you shouldn't use
ZONE_DMA.

If you are on x86_64 then there is a similar problem that many devices
can't DMA to addresses above 4G so there is a ZONE_DMA32, that will
limit the memory allocations below 4G.

If your device doesn't have any of these restrictions then you should
just use ZONE_NORMAL.

--
Shawn