Re: synchronous metadata update

Hi!

On 15:15 Mon 22 Dec     , pradeep singh wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Sandeep K Sinha
> <sandeepksinha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi pradeep,
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 2:54 PM, pradeep singh
> > <pradeep.rautela@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Sandeep K Sinha
> >> <sandeepksinha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> Perfectly right but that may be a one off scenario. Usually modern
> >> filesystems would keep multiple copies of superblock, so even if your
> >> superblock is damaged you can still recover the fs to a sane state by
> >> forcing fsck to use an alternative superblock.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps somehow.
> >>

> > No offense, but remember that fsck fails too.
> > There are instances where this is possible.
>
> Can you please describe any scenario, where this may happen?

There are lots of ways a filesystem can be damaged which do not involve the
superblocks. I have found some information which are done by fsck at
http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2intro.html

I do not trust fsck that much. I have had a damaged file system which was
*destroyed* by e2fsck - mountable with IO errors before, not mountable
afterwards. In another case I did a repair and e2fsck said the file system
was ok. A few weeks later there were errors again...

Ok, that was not rock science, just my experience.

> One i can think of is when your /sbin is groked.
>
> I wonder if this is the case, then what happens when fsck itself
> cannot be invoked. though your superblock is intact you still cannot
> have a sane state for your fs because effectively fsck is not there.
> How do we handle such situations?
> Any hints?

Boot with a cd which contains fsck?
	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com