Fwd: synchronous metadata update

[forgot to keep list in cc]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 10:30 PM
Subject: Re: synchronous metadata update
To: Sandeep K Sinha <sandeepksinha@xxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Sandeep K Sinha
<sandeepksinha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Shyam,
>
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Shyam Burkule <shyam.burkule@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am new to Linux Filesystem. I read that "Most Unix file system use
>> synchronous writes for metadata update to ensure filesystem coverability and
>> data intregrity after system crash." But here I am not understanding how
>> updating metadata helps keeping fs consistent? Does it also means of keeping
>> file data consistent? Please clarify..
>>

> When you say a file system as consistent, It means that you would be
> able to mount the filesystem. The superblock would be in the
> consistent state.

Not only that........in fact if your superblock is corrupt, filesystem
is screwed badly you are on the other end of fs inconsistency. But
most common examples of filesystem inconsistency i would say would be
suppose if you are writing some data to a new file in some directory.
This would consist of below steps (rougly)

a) allocating an inode
b) creating a directory entry
c) updating inode fields and writing data

Now since (a) & (b) are metadata updates, because fs would be
inconsistent if you have a directory entry but not an allocated inode
for it, or you have an inode allocated but no file/entry pointing to
it. Though these things are easily detectable/fixable by fsck.
Similarly deletes would have to ensure that you perform them in such
an order so that you don't have a stale directory entry.

Please read "journal-design.pdf" by stephen tweedie. That will give
you a good insight of such problems.

Thanks -
Manish