Re: Problem concerning VFS

Hi!

On 11:35 Fri 19 Dec     , Stephane Lambert wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am having a problem during boot concerning VFS (see the kernel output
> below).
> I have read several posts on this subject but I haven't been able to
> find the information that I need.
> (Note that I'm porting uClinux to a new architecture (The Cortus APS3
> processor)).
>
> Could someone point me to the appropriate docs or suggest how to
> proceed, please ?

> *******
> VFS: test name = </dev/root>
> VFS: fs_name = <ext2>
> VFS: fs_name = <romfs>
> VFS: tried fs_name = <ext2> err= -6
> *******

interesting

> VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)

Your kernel cannot mount the root file system. Please check:
- Does your kernel know the location of your root file system? (I do not know
  whether this applies to your arch) Type "rdev YOUR_KERNEL_IMAGE". It shows
  you where your kernel expects your root file system. If you have not changed
  it, it is probably the block device which was the root device on the machine
  which compiled the kernel at that time. If if does not equal the location
  of the root file system on your embedded system, append it as a parameter,
  e.g. root=/dev/sda2
- Do you have the file system compiled in?
- Do you have the block device driver compiled in?
- Is the file system mountable on your pc without errors?
	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com