partial hibernate in linux

Hi all,

Sorry for spamming the list because this is really not a kernel
question, but I am also not sure if this can be done in userspace
entirely. While working on my laptop today somehow I screwed my Xorg
settings and thus my whole X session. I had to reinitialize/restart X,
but that also meant I had to close all my important open windows :-(

I felt it would be nice if I could have stored all the current running
processes in some file (just like hibernate) and just restarted X with
that file (possibly as an argument). That would also mean I can save
different sessions :-) and then hibernate and then come back with
whatever session I wish.

Is anyone aware of any tool/project that tries to do this ??

Thanks -
Manish