Re: Device Drivers

Hi Mohit,

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Mohit Varma <mohit.varma01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Linux Programming and am particularly interested in Device
> Driver programming.
>
> Now, my queries are :
>

> How do I write a Device Driver without having/ owning a hardware.

You can write your own device drivers without a physical hardware.
You can just create device special files and you can write drivers for them.
As you just a starter, the best thing for you would be to start from a
simple kernel module and then writing a simple character device
driver. Google it you will get many references to the same.

> Even if I write one...how do I test it.

Now once you have written it, you can simply read/write on that dummy
character device driver and it should work fine for you.

Simply by using cat command you can read that file. Its simple. Refer
some documets, it will be more clear to you.

> What if I at some later stage I want to get involved with more serious

Try writing some block device driver or Network driver... Its serious
stuff for sure !

> Device Driver programming i.e. go beyond basic drivers...How do I overcome
> the challenge of getting a hardware.

You have dummy device simulators. You can use them. For example, say
you want a MTD device, you can simply create dummy MTD devices ( NAND
and NOR) on your machine. There are many other. Pick any of your
choice.

> people who write Network Drivers...How do they overcome the challenge of
> getting and using the hardware.

No Idea. May  be someone Networking familiar person can answer this.

> Would be apreciate if I can get help n clarity on these isues.
>
> Thanks in Advance,

HTH,

--
Regards,
Sandeep.

"To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner."