Detecting infinite loops

Hi all,
Suppose, I have an application or library code containing following :-

while (expected condition has not occurred)
{
    handling of expected condition
}

Now, If the expected condition does not occur, the program goes into
an infinite loop.
Now, how to detect this ? For user of the code who is running, it will
appear as the program got stuck somewhere, not moving ahead.
But user may not make out that the code is in infinite loop. How such
info can be derived using some tools like debuggers ?
I am thinking, whether it is possible to attach a debugger to a
running code & detect such conditions ? name the debugger also or any
other tools.

What about similar situation in driver code ?

Any link/reference will be useful.

Thanks in advance,
Yogeshwar