Re: Does anyone study the linux0.11 ?

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM, leafan <wangling219@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
>   I'm an college student , and now I'm trying to analysis the old
> version of linux, does anybody do this ?

I saw the same question asked last week in the chinese version of
kernelnewbies mailing list.

My comment is that there are many ways of doing the same thing, and
0.11 and 2.6 may have different ways => then u still have to relearn
everything again when it comes to 2.6.   In this age of focus and
specialization, I would not think it is useful to know so many things
(esp of the past, which is not going to work now)

But if 0.11 and 2.6 do it the same way, then it must be very
well-grounded and standard ways of doing things.   So just learn the
2.6 will be enough.

And if u really want to do 0.11, u also need the 0.11 version of
glibc, and 0.11 version of hardware - everything worked as a whole.
Otherwise, nothing is going to compile.   I would call this
"uninventing the wheel - tearing the wheel apart, and recreating a new
wheel".   Why not just go ahead and recreate the new wheel?

Direct translation is:   why not create the simplest OS u can do?   Or
download an existing simple but complete OS which will work?
Sourceforge has a few, and http://o3one.org/ is another good example.
 (he migrated his OS to run under Xen)

Or another way is just take one slice of 2.6, and understand it well.....

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh

Ernest Hemingway - "Never mistake motion for action."