From: Greg KH [mailto:greg@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 10:20 AM
To: Vivek Kumar Gupta
Cc: Kernel Newbies
Subject: Re: Which routine does make dev file of usb char device ?

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 10:09:10AM +0530, Vivek Kumar Gupta wrote:
> >> If it is udev, how does it determine the major and minor number of
> the
> >> device?
>
> >From the "dev" file in the sys/class/... file for the device, or from
> >the uevent itself.  newer versions of udev only use the uevent, and
> >don't need sysfs.
>
> Just a small question, which newer version of kernel don't need sysfs.
> Is it 2.6.26 upwards or even less than that?

The kernel always needs sysfs :)

Do you mean which version of udev does not need sysfs?  I don't
remember, sorry.

> In case it does not need sysfs, so via make menuconfig can I
completely
> remove the support of sysfs from my kernel and also from busybox
rootfs,

> Will that be fine for udev.?

It all depends on what your rule files contain.  Some distro's rules do
read things from sysfs, so you might not be able to.

But, why would you want to remove sysfs from your kernel?  How much
memory does it save?  Are you sure it's an issue?  My daughter's cell
phone has sysfs and udev, it's not anything that is a big deal to have
in your kernel.

thanks,

greg k-h