Re: [Question] AMD opteron can support CPUfreq by per core ?

On Friday 31 October 2008 04:06:44 Peter Teoh wrote:
> check this out:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/kernel.cpufreq/2004-07/msg00012.html
>
> from the reply, since the power management flag is at the per-core
> level (check /proc/cpuinfo), all control can be done at the per-core
> level, hard-ware wise.   (not sure of Linux Kernel itself)

This is for intel core2duo, not amd, but to address if the kernel will scale
pr core or pr. chip.

On my machine running 2.6.27.7 (standard ubuntu intrepid kernel), it will
scale the to cores separatedly:

*snip*
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          4300  @ 1.80GHz
*snip*

[ 15:01 ] henrikau@icarus:~  $ cat /proc/cpuinfo  | grep "cpu MHz"
cpu MHz         : 1200.000
cpu MHz         : 1800.000

So, the kernel is capable of scaling each core individually.

> But at least 4 flags must be present (read above email):   ts, ttp, fid,
> vid.

Is this the powernow-technology?