.o and .ko file

hi when i compiled a kernel module
i get two files a.o and a.ko file
now my ques is ..
what is difference between two files..
why two object files are created and

then i read smwhere that when we do insmod all symbols used in code are linked with kernel symbol table....
then 2nd place i read is insmod does loading of module linking is already done while making .ko file ...

then i was confused pl clarify what is actual purpose of insmod...

and last is i have learnt writing makefile for kernel module but dont understand why do they reuire first

make -C <kernel makefile path>  M = <my module makefile path> modules
i read abt it in LDD too but cd nt understand
as to why do we make it first reach to kernel make file then to our makefile and what modules target specify...

u may provide me some good link too ...

--
Thanks & Regards
Nidhi