Re: CLONE_IO

Hi!

On 00:01 Sat 11 Oct     , Peter Teoh wrote:
> thank you Michael,
>
> As far as I can tell, it is related to I/O scheduling.   Still don't
> quite understand, why CFQ and anticipatory will need this IO context,
> and the other two it does not matter?

> > On 10:50 Thu 09 Oct     , Peter Teoh wrote:
> >> What is CLONE_IO used for?   What is the definition / meaning of I/O
> >> context sharing between parent and child?
> >>
> >> In fact, from header file:
> >>
> >> #define CLONE_FS        0x00000200      /* set if fs info shared
> >> between processes */
> >> #define CLONE_FILES     0x00000400      /* set if open files shared
> >> between processes */
> >> #define CLONE_IO                0x80000000      /* Clone io context */
> >>
> >> These three looked seemingly the same/related.....differences among them?

CLONE_FS:
  thread 1 does chroot, chdir or umask ==> does it affect the other thread?
CLONE_FILES:
  thread 1 calls open or close ==> does the other thread see the new file
  descriptor and does it see the old file descriptor closed?
CLONE_IO:
  CFQ or some other io scheduler which lets every process have their fair
  share of IO time is in use. Thread 1 and a new thread created by clone()
  do a lot of io. If CLONE_IO is set, their fair share io bandwidth will
  equals the bandwidth a single process would get. If it is *not* set, both
  threads will have their own fair share, meaning the fair share will grow
  if the number of threads increases.
	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com