Re: insmod not working with initramfs

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:16:28 -0400 cjjoy1980 <cjjoy1980@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I am trying to boot a MIPS based embedded board.
> I am able to NFS boot the kernel and rootfile system through
> tftp.
>   I have now created the initramfs of the same rootfile system,
> after little hickups I was able to boot the board.
> But when I try to insmode a module I am getting the following
> error:
>
>    insmod: error inserting 'linux-kernel-bcm.ko': -1 Cannot allocate memory
>    Unable to load Module :  linux-kernel-bcm.ko. Error Code 1
>
> The dmesg shows:
> 'linux-kernel-bcm.ko : No more DMA blocks
> 'linux-kernel-bcm.ko': No Dma memory available

No more memory available.

> The insmode works with the NFS version of the same rootfs and kernel.

Because NFS doesn't use as much memory as a ramdisk/ramfs does.

> On googling I found this error is due to kernel version mismatch.
> But I am using the same kernel used for NFS booting.
>
> Please let me know where I am wrong?

Try to use less memory. Enable less kernel features, optimize for size
and not for speed, use a smaller userland (try the
uclibc/busybox/tinylogin combination).

Erik

--
Erik Mouw -- mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
GPG key fingerprint: D6AC 7F15 A26E C5C4 62E0  4A58 FCF9 551C 9B48 B68D