Problems with the network bonding driver...

Anyone ever have issues with the bonding driver?  I want to see if this is a mis-configuration or a known issue before I dive into the driver source code.

I'm trying to bond two interfaces, eth0 and eth1, using active-backup mode (1).  My problem is that if the first port added to the bonding driver (eth0, in my case,) is down (i.e. not plugged into the switch,) the driver will NOT use eth1 as the active link when it is added (eth1 is plugged in.)

To my way of thinking, this is a problem.  It should use the first active interface it finds in all cases.  To have a good link and not use it is a bug, I think.

Here are the particulars of my setup:

Kernel      : 2.6.16 (this is for an embedded application, and no, I cannot change kernels.)
Mod Load    : /bin/mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
              /sbin/insmod /ASE/bonding.ko max_bonds=4 miimon=1000 use_carrier=1
              echo balance-rr >/sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/mode
              echo balance-rr >/sys/class/net/bond1/bonding/mode
              echo active-backup >/sys/class/net/bond2/bonding/mode
              echo active-backup >/sys/class/net/bond3/bonding/mode

ifcfg_bond2 : DEVICE=bond2
              IPADDR=192.168.242.16
              NETMASK=255.255.255.0
              BROADCAST=192.168.242.255