Re: why not new-style I2C eeprom driver?

Hello Srinivas,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:33:31AM +0530, srinivas.ramana@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>    Would like to know why the I2C eeprom driver is not upgraded to new-style?

Have you checked the latest kernel sources? Since 2.6.27-rc there is AT24 which
should meet your needs.

>    Why is that some devices are still following legacy I2C driver style.

Because nobody converted them yet. This is mainly a problem of not having the
hardware for testing. Every converted driver is very welcome.

>    If i want to write an I2C driver, is there any dependency on the
>    device that makes me to write only legacy driver?

Nope. Please always use the new style.

>    Actually, i am trying to rewrite the I2C eeprom driver in new-style using
>    linux kernel device model for my understanding.

Then have a look at at24.c for references :)

All the best,

   Wolfram Sang

--