Re: 32 bit and 64 bit---- doubt

Apart from these, following wiki link best describes what makes an architecture as 64 bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM, pradeep singh <2500.pradeep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:42 PM, nidhi mittal <nidhimittal19@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
> its a very basic ques may be for many of you .but i have this confusion from
> long that is.
> when we say this application is 32 bit application or 64 bit what do we mean
> by that
>  is it processor which is 32 bit or 64 bit
> or the OS which is is 32 bit or 64 bit
> or what ?

It means the application can access 2^32 bits of memory i.e 4gigs.And
this means a 64 bit application needs a 64 bit kernel atleast, which
will run on a 64 bit processor. Aliter a 32 bit application can run on
top of either 32 or 64 bit kernel. And a 32 bit kernel can run atop a
32 bit processor or 64 but processor.

> 2. Does it have some relation that in windows in C language int size is 2
> bytes in linux gcc it is 4 bytes

No such restriction for C in windows. It is still 4 bytes.

> i mean any relation of word size with it ??
word size is 32 bits on both Windows and Linux.

Cu,
   --Pradeep

--
play the game